Swidget 1.0

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Handmade Christams




It is week five of a Handmade Christmas over at Abbi's blog. I have only managed to put one other post together so I thought I would share two things this week. I have seen many ideas for aprons on many different blogs and thought I would give them a try.


I first cut the back for the half aprons but then changed my mind and wanted to make full aprons. I was not sure what I would do with all the fabric I already cut. I was glad I only cut the back pieces.


So then I took the apron I like to use and placed it on the fabric for a pattern. I wanted it to be wider then the one I use. I just eyed as I cut along the curve of the top to end at the edge of the fabric at the with I wanted.


For the back of the apron I decided to use the pieces I cut for the half aprons. I sewed it right sides together, then ironed the seams.


Then I turned it right side out and folded and ironed the edges down.


I prepared strips to use as the ties. I then sowed all around the edge of the apron and across where the back piece ended.


This is just a picture of the top of the apron. I folded a piece of the strap under the top fold and them sowed it in. I did break one needle doing this. I had to use the knob and turn it to sow the straps in so I would not break another needle. It took to long, so I am hoping to find a different way to make the straps on the rest I have to finish.


The finished apron. I made two like this one. Bruce said I should have made a dress for myself. He really liked the print on me. I guess it would have been cute!

These are all the different color aprons I am in the process of making.




Seeing that everything I am making is going it the baskets I am giving away for Christmas I thought dish cloths would go well in them too.


These are the first three baskets I made. Thanks Abbi for the how to during week 3 of a Handmade Christmas!!

1 comment:

Abbi said...

Melissa,
Everything looks so nice! Your baskets look wonderful though the front one defenitely is shorter.
I like your aprons, they turned out really cute and the fabric is pretty. I have an apron that is that style and it is the one I like to wear.
Thanks for linking up again!
~ Abbi